Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Agua de Jamaica - Hibiscus Tea Cooler

Spring is a welcomed time of the year; all around us we are treated to new colors and aromas of vegetable, fruits and flowers. Amateur gardeners are busy with their organic gardens. My friend Bob, for example, is  busy refurbishing his vegetable garden beds, which he raised, with exotic varieties of tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic and a wide assortment of  herbs and spices. This is his overture to an annual conception of exotic and delightful salsas picantes, or hot sauces. Spring is also the time of the year in which, in any given Sunday, in any given city, and in any given park in Mexico, you're sure find vendors of aguas frescas. After a stroll through the park, there is nothing more refreshing that a flavorful agua fresca. These inexpensive drinks are prepared with fresh fruits. The most popular choices are: limón, piña, sandía, orchata, tamarindo, jamaica and others. They are usually displayed in large glass barrel type jars, fraught with chunks of fruit and ice.
They are inexpensive in Mexico. But here, in any Mexican restaurant they are likely to be more expensive than our traditional brand name soft drinks. Recently, I paid $2.69 for a 12 once glass of agua de Jamaica, mostly filled with crushed ice, at a local restaurant.

Earlier this week, on a shopping trip to my local Mexican market, I noticed a huge pile of flor de jamaica,  or hibiscus flower. Considering that our weatherman forecasted a hot spring day, I took the opportunity to prepare my own hibiscus tea cooler. I purchase a 1/4 lb. for .39 cents. Upon my return home, I quickly started preparing agua de Jamaica, hibiscus tea cooler.  The following are the steps I took to make a delicious and refreshing agua de jamaica:


 Rinse the hibiscus flower and place it in a good size pot. Boil them for about 20 minutes. The result will be an aromatic dark crimson color tea. Strain the tea into your jar or container. Dilute it, fifty-fifty ratio and add sugar to taste.

Add ice, these are all the ingredients you will need. If you prefer to use sugar substitutes, I would recommend that each person sweeten their own individual drink.
Spring and summer are the best times of the year to enjoy a sweet, refreshing agua fresca. I suggest you try making it. The amount that I used yielded three gallons, enough to invite families and friends to carne asada on a warm week-end. Bob is sure bring ten to twelve jars of his salsas.
Agua de Jamaica has other beneficial effects. According to traditional healers in Mexico, because of its' diuretic properties, it helps lower blood pressure, relieves upset stomach and a source of vitamin C.
Now that spring and our warm weather are here, it's time for outdoor activities, enjoy them with chilled hibiscus tea.

3 comments:

  1. The last picture really looks good, it got my attention.i just might try it, my Mexican store, El Super has flor de jamaica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that Jamaica looks great!! Did Jamaica get its name from Jamaicans?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love hibiscus tea. In fact, I just bought dried hibiscus flowers and will make some hibiscus punch later this afternoon. So excited.

    ReplyDelete